Lautaro Martínez: Argentinian striker can replace Fernando Torres at Atlético Madrid

Picture1.png

The 20-year-old is one of the Primera’s hottest prospects and an outside bet to make Argentina’s World Cup squad, he would be the perfect Fernando Torres replacement at Atlético Madrid, writes Sam May.

Racing’s star striker has been linked with a move to the Wanda Metropolitana in recent times and could replace Torres, should the Spanish striker move to the Premier League to link-up with ex-boss Rafa Benítez at Newcastle in January. Torres, 33, is in the twilight of his career and is said to be happy to seek pastures new.

Martínez looked set for a move to the Spanish capital in the summer, until club officials failed to close a deal with Primera División side Racing Club de Avellaneda, having travelled to Argentina to finalise a deal. He is however still on the radar, and boss Diego Simeone could pounce to secure the services of his fellow countryman.

He has made 11 international appearances for the Argentina U20 squad, scoring seven goals and is only going to improve going forward. Martínez was also the top-scorer at the Under 20 South American Championships in Ecuador with five goals. It isn’t just Atlético who are interested in his services, however. Borussia Dortmund scouts were at the Bombonera on Sunday to watch a glittering display from Racing Club’s wonderkid Lautaro Martínez, claims the star’s father.

“He is a player who has no limits on what he can achieve,” Martínez Sr. added, also recognising that Atlético have maintained their interest despite failing to come to an agreement. He has a €9 million buyout clause in his current contract, which is a bargain following his impressive form. Racing own 80% of his rights and Liniers de Bahía Blanca, where he started his career, own the remaining 20%.

Monaco, Manchester United, Arsenal and Atlético’s bitter rivals Real Madrid have all expressed interest in the impressive forward, so it seems competition for his signature will be tough.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s